Our Vision for English: children will be competent and confident literacy learners and able to access the wider curriculum and be active learners
The study, use and enjoyment of the English language and its literature, communicated orally, visually, and in writing, for a range of purposes and audiences and in a variety of text forms. It is the natural connection that exists between learning areas, and also links learning areas to the values and key competencies
Our Beliefs about English:
· We believe that English is a core curriculum area that is an integral part of all teaching and learning programmes. It is fundamental to accessing and succeeding across all other learning areas.
· That effective implementation of English is structured around the two interconnected strands, the underpinning processes and strategies, and incorporate the dimensions of effective literacy practice
Effective Teaching in English will:
· Involve making meaning and creating meaning using oral, written, and visual language
· Reflect the principles, key competencies, knowledge, skills, attitudes and values of the New Zealand Curriculum
· Be the same across all classes with tasks becoming increasingly complex
School and Community Goals for English:
· English will be at the heart of all learning
· To become increasingly skilled at reading, writing, listening, speaking, presenting, and viewing
· Children will be supported to develop a love of reading, writing, and communicating
The purpose of our school library is that children realise its importance as a resource centre to support their own learning, and that it is a place to enjoy recreational reading. Our library is the heart of our school. It is a space that is free for learners to gather and relax and where we strive to grow our reading culture.